5 Haziran 2014 Perşembe

Çok Şık Bir Yüzük Tasarımı - El Yapımı Yüzük - Elişi Yüzük - Yüzük Tasarımı

Ring a Ding Ding

Today I took a metal jewelry class and learned to saw and form a ring.  I took the class with Charles Agel. He is an awesome instructor.  He communicated clearly, is very knowledgeable and has a warm personality. I like his teaching style and design style, so much that I have already registered for another class that is scheduled for the end of April.

First I'll show you the rings' glamour shots. Later in this blog post I'll show you the ring being created.

'No blades were harmed in the making of this ring!' (giggle)

Here she is making her blog depute "The Shield Ring"

It is really comfortable on my hand.

A side view to show how it is formed.

I love how the texture and color turned out.  I used a hammer with small squares on the head to get the texture and then torched the metal before I shaped it on a ring mandrel to my ring size.  The torch gave it a lovely red patina.  Then I used fine sand paper to bring out the highlights, a polishing cloth for shine and Ren wax to seal it.
This shot shows the smoothness of the inside.

I cut out a practice shape from a piece of 20 gauge copper sheet, since I've only sawed once (during last weekends classes).  I didn't break the blade, which is pretty remarkable.

The pattern was drawn on paper and then glued to the sheet metal.

Here my form has been cut out of the sheet metal.  Look at that saw blade!  Still unbroken!

Some more metal needs to be sawed off, since my ring form was unbalanced

Here the ring form is in balance and the saw blade is still in tack.

After the edges were filed, filed, filed (yep, I forgot to take a picture)  I then sanded, sanded, sanded.  First with 180 grit, then with 320 grit.  I could have sanded with another finer grit, but it wasn't necessary, since I was going to texture the metal.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder